Posted December 4, 2018
Job Title Office Administrator
Congregation Lakeview United Church (LUC), a community church located at 3023-63rd Avenue SW, Calgary. Our vision is spiritual renewal in a caring, inclusive and affirming community, open to all.
Hours 30-35 hours per week
Position Summary The Office Administrator is, for many in the community, the first point of contact with the church. This role provides administrative and communications support for the congregation.
1. Provide a warm welcome to visitors, community and congregation members. Provide information on church activities, baptisms, weddings, funerals, rentals, etc.
2. Respond to personal, phone, and other inquiries in a caring and tactful way, referring people to appropriate church and community contacts
3. Prepare materials to enhance worship, including PowerPoint presentations and Orders of Service, as requested by the worship leader
4. Act as liaison with renters and potential renters. Answer inquiries and refer requests for new ongoing rentals to Council for review. Follow up on any issues related to renters. Prepare invoices and record receipt of cheques. Let renters know about upcoming LUC events.
5. Forward incoming invoices for approval. Responsible for day to day bookkeeping using Quickbooks, including Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. Assist the Treasurer as required.
6. Design communications to inform the congregation, renters and the community about LUC activities and initiatives, through PowerPoint announcements, bulletins, weekly emails, posters, social media, church signage etc. Act as a backup for maintaining the church website.
7. Maintain the monthly and yearly church calendar
8. Maintain church records, including members’ lists, baptisms, wedding and funeral records. Input information into Powerchurch and report hymn usage.
9. Compile church reports, including reports for the Annual General Meeting, Annual Financial Meeting and other reports required by United Church of Canada and government agencies
10. Perform office support and other duties as may be requested by the Office Liaison, the Minister or the LUC Council
§ An outgoing, engaging personality, who has experience working with volunteers, seniors and individuals with disabilities
§ Able to work independently, but also to collaborate with staff and volunteers, involving them in church activities
§ Preference for a candidate with a church background
§ Must be comfortable with the values and traditions of the United Church, or similar mainstream Protestant denominations, and Affirming congregations
§ Mature person, with patience, tact and excellent communication skills
§ Strong computer and social media skills, including PowerPoint, Google Calendar, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
§ Strong organizational skills. Able to prioritize and focus amidst distractions.
§ Bookkeeping skills. Experience with accounting systems such as Quickbooks preferred.
§ University or college background or equivalent, with office experience
Negotiable, depending on background and experience. This is a lay position, eligible for benefits after the appropriate waiting period as set out by the United Church of Canada.
To apply for this position, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com